Friday, November 13, 2009

What is the best way to care for my African American daughter's hair?

We adopted our African American daughter at birth and I've come to really enjoy doing her hair. I'm white and my husband is Philipino. She is 3 years old now. Her hair is naturally very dry and brittle.



Usually, I section it into 2" squares with rubber bands, then twist the length, and fishish with a few beads on the ends. I wash it about every two weeks with baby shampoo with detangler followed by baby conditioner with detangler. I've been using leave-in conditioners and moisturizers made by Beautiful Beginnings and Just For Me.



I'm wondering about frequency of washing and what shampoos and conditioners to use. Also, what moisturizers are best. We are vegetarians and very concerned about using natural or organic products, preferably that have not been tested on animals, and that don't have tons of weird chemicals.



Thanks for your advice.



What is the best way to care for my African American daughter's hair?

I would find a stylist who specializes in ethnic hair and ask their opinion. If you see good hair on a stranger- ask them who does their hair. Ethnic hair needs special care and treatment. When she is old enough, do her a favor and get her hair relaxed professionally.



What is the best way to care for my African American daughter's hair?

check out the body shop their products are animal and enviromentally friendly



What is the best way to care for my African American daughter's hair?

It sounds like you are on the right track,I would just add some hair grease.If I'm not mistaken,Beautiful Beginnings have their own.Use it to oil her scalp at least every two days(everyday if her hair is really dry).Also try Pink Oil Moisterizer(by Luster's).You can add ribbons,bows,balls,and barretts to match her clothing.You can purchase stuff like that at the beauty supply store.Hope this helps.



What is the best way to care for my African American daughter's hair?

Olive oil is your new best friend. I swear by it, and I have many African American clients hooked on it also. Women in India have used it for centuries as a hair dressing.



What is the best way to care for my African American daughter's hair?

im a vege tarian and id suggest organic thats wat i use and for the hair when you wash her hair put it a lot of plats and twist it depending on alot of hair or not. washing the hair is good



What is the best way to care for my African American daughter's hair?

First, I want to say that you two are great people for adopting...giving a child a better life than she would have normally gotten.



I wash my hair weekly. African American women generally, don't need to wash their hair daily. Usually week or bi-weekly is normal. As far as products, Just for Me is great for children's hair...there are several others like Nioxin, Pink Moisturizer, Isoplus, etc. Most children wear their hair in ponytails with plats....it helps to grow their hair. Make sure that her scalp is greased whenever you style her hair....Isoplus is a very good grease. This also helps You can also go to a local beauty salon to get their advice.



What is the best way to care for my African American daughter's hair?

KUDOS!! to you for not washing her hair everyday!!I am an African-American mother with African-American children. unfortunately you may not be able to find many all natural products for her hair.coconut oil and Shea butter will restore the luster to her hair. Any detangler and shampoo on the market should work for her. i use head and shoulders on my daughters hair bc its so dry and flaky. every kid is different.if you have time to learn how to french braid you can french braid her hair or take her to a salon that specializes in braids and natural looks. dreadlocks maybe an option.dreads are done with beeswax and look adorable on kids!!! since you are Au natural - the only thing you would need to dress her hair with would be a light oil like olive oil or coconut oil. don't let people tell you that dreadlocks are stinky or nasty, you can wash her hair every two weeks and the stylist will let you know when your baby needs to come back to get re-twisted.



What is the best way to care for my African American daughter's hair?

It's best that you keep her hair natural at least while she's very young. Using natural oils like coconut oil or Jojoba oil instead of grease because grease contains petroleum that can clog the pores and slow hair growth. It's also will not moisturize the the hair it actually makes it drier. Water the natural hair's best friend. After washing her hair try using a small amount of oil to lock in the moisture. Please visit http://www.nappturality.com/forum



there's a parents section too.



What is the best way to care for my African American daughter's hair?

It's me! On the contrary to what someone said, I think relaxing hair should not be a mother's decision when it comes to the child. My mother waited until I was much older before giving me that option. Yes it may be hard to manage but it's beautiful. I change my hair whenever I get bored and actually went natural, well I had dreadlocks for a few years which I personally think is high maintenance if you want it looking great.



Anyway, the Luster's Pink moisturizing oil is good and is available in a light formula if the other regualr formula is too heavy. I use the kids products in my hair. I have strange combination hair thanks to my worthless father. May have to tell you about that sometime. One suggestion, to help it grow and to give your hands a break and her hair would be to braid it. I don't mean with extensions, I mean with her own hair if she would sit still long enough (corn-rows) There are very beautifu styles that you could incorporate beads in the hair.



There was a conditioner I bought once, it smelled really nice and was light and didn't weigh the hair down. Some of these hair products aren't as pleasing to the nose. Unfortunatley I cannot find it anywhere and cannot even remember the name.



Oops re: your questions. Frequency is every 2 weeks otherwise there is serious breakage. It will dry out and get brittle. The moisturizers that you said you are using is good. I would think tiwce about the baby shampoo though because to be honest they are not made for our type of hair and even though it is milder for a baby's delicate hair it will still cause dryness and rob her hair of essential nutrients. There are online stores specializing in ethnic hair %26amp; products that you may want to look into. I will attempt to get the site address and pass it on.



You're doing great woman

No comments:

Post a Comment